Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meetings: Somerville Single Stream Recycling Pilot

View Somerville Single Stream Recycling Pilot in a larger map

Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone, Ward 5 Alderman Sean T. O’Donovan and  the Mayor's Office of Sustainability and Environment, would like to invite all interested parties to a series of community meetings focusing on the implementation of the Single Stream Recycling pilot program in a section of Ward 5 (see map above) beginning on October 6th. The meetings will be held on Thursday, September 16th at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, September 25th at 11:00 am, in the Visiting Nurses Association (VNA), 3rd floor community room located at
259 Lowell Street.


  1. Darn, I would love to see single stream recycling, but I am 1 street away from this pilot area. Why not include Hudson St?
    My experience of single stream at MIT has been good, though there tends to be beliefs that everything is just thrown away. People need education about what happens with their recycling.

  2. Hi Sheila,

    Thanks for the comments. The hope, of course, is that the pilot program will be educational, and that it will prepare us to do single-stream for the entire city. This particular pilot area was chosen because it is statistically average - the recycling rate is similar to the median for the city overall. Still, I'm sorry it just missed your home.

  3. I don't know about single stream recycling, but I would love to see Somerville find a way to better deal with cardboard. Week after week, I see boxes put into the trash trucks because they were not broken down and tied properly. I have a lot of students in my neighborhood and it breaks my heart every spring and fall to see all those cardboard boxes go to the landfill just because they weren't cut into small enough pieces or were left whole.

  4. I can't make the Sept. 25th meeting. I live on Bond st so can you tell me what I am suppose to do on Oct.6th? I just moved to this area from ward 2 and I didn't even know what ward I was in or who my Alderman was until I saw this map.
    It was very hectic moving so I forgot to check.

  5. In Wayland, they have dumpsters for cardboard,large metal items, bins for electronics, drop off of free good stuff, book bin, etc. There is no curbside pick up. You pay the fee and take you own trash and can just about recycle everything, plus pick up free composted dirt. It's about $200 a yr.

  6. Whether or not you can attend the meeting, you should be receiving a letter explaning the pilot program. If you don't receive that, please call 311 and they will answer any questions you have. Thanks!

    I can't make the Sept. 25th meeting. I live on Bond st so can you tell me what I am suppose to do on Oct.6th?


Please note that you are about to comment on a blog moderated by the City of Somerville. Questions and comments will be moderated, edited, and responded to as time allows.

Also note, there are certain legal terms associated with posting to this website which include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. No comments or posts may endorse any candidate or political parties for political office;
2. No comments or posts may advertise or offer to sell any goods or services; and
3. No comments or posts may defame or otherwise violate the legal rights of others.

A complete version of the legal terms and conditions for posting to this website is available here: