Friday, April 1, 2011

Hello and What's Coming Up

Hello everyone,


I’d like to introduce myself as your new ResiStat Coordinator. As some of you may know, my predecessor, ResiStat Coordinator Daniel Hadley, was recently promoted to the position of SomerStat Senior Analyst. He’ll still be closely involved with ResiStat as he analyzes and prepares city data that will be shared with you (currently, he’s tackling a dataset of more than 200,000 311 call records to gain insight into City needs and resident priorities, a project that should result in some fascinating graphs like this one). Meanwhile, I’ll do my best to carry on the City's efforts to keep communication between the City and residents open, transparent and useful for all involved.

Spring ResiStat Meeetings coming up: We're planning spring ResiStat meetings now, and I’ve been reviewing past surveys of general resident concerns as well as specific suggestions for ResiStat. Personally, I feel lucky that we live in City where it is a priority to share with residents the same detailed information used for decision-making by lawmakers. I will do my best to make sure that we have easy and convenient ways for you to access this information, respond to it, and get your opinions heard. In the mean time, feel free to let me know what you would most like to know more about or if you have any specific suggestions for ResiStat.

A little bit about me: I’m a Somerville resident (19 years) with a background that spans journalism, nonprofit work and political organizing. Most recently, I launched and served as editor of the local news and community website Somerville.Patch.com, where my respect grew profoundly for the determination of so many residents and our government to keep this city moving forward. Prior to that, I spent 12 years as a Boston Globe correspondent while working on the side to create reading materials for struggling K-12 readers. My start goes back to nonprofit development work (including for Somerville Community Access TV) and political organizing around environmental issues. In the end, I’ve always been working toward the same goals: to inform and engage. I hope in my role as ResiStat coordinator that I will continue to do just that, and that you’ll help point me in the right direction to do so.

--Denise Taylor
dtaylor [at] somervillema.gov

2 comments:

  1. So excited to see you join the City of Somerville team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    So happy to have you on the ResiStat team!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that you are about to comment on a blog moderated by the City of Somerville. Questions and comments will be moderated, edited, and responded to as time allows.

Also note, there are certain legal terms associated with posting to this website which include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. No comments or posts may endorse any candidate or political parties for political office;
2. No comments or posts may advertise or offer to sell any goods or services; and
3. No comments or posts may defame or otherwise violate the legal rights of others.

A complete version of the legal terms and conditions for posting to this website is available here: http://somervilleresistat.org/uploads/Blog_legal_terms.pdf