In the Fall of 2012, the Mayor and Superintendent created the Children and Youth Study Team. The Study Team was a group of representative stakeholders who met to carry out data-informed discussions of school, municipal, and community issues affecting quality of life and opportunities for success for children and youth in Somerville. The Mayor and Superintendent's Office launched the group because of their belief that rigorous and thoughtful discussions among a diverse group build consensus around shared goals and strategies of how to make Somerville a model laocation to raise a family.
- The Team met regularly for one year.
- Team discussions focused on an initial set of School and Municipal issues related to children and family well-being.
- Each discussion was based on data compiled in advance of each meeting.
- Discussions resulted in follow-up tasks that were tracked closely.
- The Team maintained a website and reported out to stakeholders.
- Monthly meetings were open to the public, but group members had priority for participation.
MATERIALS FROM MEETINGS: Below are materials from meetings held between October of 2012 and December of 2013.